Thursday, 17 May 2007

Rusty Fabric Dyeing - Results

Well the results are in and I'm feeling rather pleased with myself. For a first go they are quite interesting. I'll definately be doing this again. The first picture is with them on the line to dry and they are looking pretty bright in the sunshine. They dried lighter - as in the pictures below.

This first one was put in a bucket with rusty nails, a hack saw blade, door hinges, an old door bell and a few other bits and pieces. (Thanks to my neighbours for throwing them away). The fabric and the pits and pieces were layered together. Next time I'll aim for more contact between them and the fabric. They weren't very rusty and with their small size gave a delicate result.

I screwed up the fabric, added rust water and then half a kettle of hot water and a slurp of vinegar. This time I didn't use salt - but I might another time. They were in the bucket a week - with me rearranging them every day or so.


The results of the second one are more dramatic. I used old circular saw blades and they were pretty rusty. I particularly like the depth that the different shades of rust give this piece. I used the same method as for the other bucket.

I haven't decided what to use them for yet - but some ideas are brewing...

3 comments:

Dy said...

Thanks for posting about the process! Interesting how much lighter the fabric is when it's dry. I love the teeth patterning from the circular saw blades

Nancilyn (Fiberdabbler) said...

Yes, the saw teeth are really neat. What would happen if you laid the saw blade in a corner of a square and folded so you had a flat packet? Would that imprint on two sides plus maybe the next layers? Maybe if you weighted it down? Let me know if you experiment.

Luci F said...

Thanks Dy and Nancilyn
The sawblades are rustier on one side than the other - so the results are variable. It does give imprints off both sides. The calico was quite thick - so I don't think it dyed more than one layer, expecially as the fabric was scrunched. But it might...I'll let you know next time I try.