Sunday, 10 February 2008

Beautiful, but Deadly - Sumptuous Surfaces (3) - Texture



Here are my starfish so far. I have used Perle threads and beads to give an encrusted knobbly look. I am pleased with the result and think that I have got the starfishy look. I looked at lots of photos on the web to try and make them scientifically accurate.
I didn't realise that using the perle threads would make them sparkle in the light - so they look quite glamorous! Sadly you can't see this in the photo. (Maybe even beautiful, but deadly!)


The Australian CSIRO have several pictures of the real Asterias amurensis. I have tried to copy the tube feet, patterns on their back and the knobbly lumps (beads and drizzle stitches). They range in colour from creamy yellows to purple. As we are working in monotones, I have kept to yellowy/cream colours. I am also pleased that the palestrina stitch has conveniently turned up at the tips - as this is a distinguishing feature of this seastar.

The background stitches are different sizes and layers of cretan stitch and then the gaps have been filled with seed beads and
drizzle stitches and the odd french knot.

Now - what to do with the background, so that they look out of place...





This is what the real ones look like:
CSIRO picture
Museum of Victoria Picture

2 comments:

Ati said...

The starfishes look very good!!

Nancy said...

Luci, these are so well done! I love the effect and yes, you definitely got the starfishy feel! Nancy ('nuanc' from Being Practically Creative)