Wednesday, 6 February 2008

Starfish









































I am still working on the Sumptuous Surfaces project. This is my progress to date.

I have started my edges and low relief work. My design has changed slightly - I took out my third little starfish as I realised that it wouldn't leave me any room to put in the seafloor and sea shells etc.

I've used gold organza outlined with palestrina stitch (hopefully to look like the suckers/feet under the starfish). I plan to add some stitches to show the patterns on the backs too and drizzle stitches to show the spiny bits - probably next week now.

The background is cretan stitch in crewel wool. I decided not to pull the stitches, after an experiment, as I prefered the smoothness of the standard stitch.

I'm not sure what to put around the border of the post card. I've looked at a few wools/threads - but so far none has looked right. I may have to buy something new, but I thought I'd wait until I have stitched some more.



There are some lovely pieces of work in the group and I'm really looking forward to see how everyone's work is developing next week.

1 comment:

Nancilyn (Fiberdabbler) said...

This is looking great. I really like the shapes and placements of your starfish.