Monday, 26 March 2007

Catching up - TAST - Week 1 Herringbone



So now I want to back track a bit and catch up with what I have been putting on Flickr. I like things to link up and for my own record.


TAST - Take a Stitch Tuesday - is run by Sharon B of In a Minute Ago. Each week we are set a different stitch to take away and play with. It is all about our learning in a non-judgemental supportive environment.

I have been accumulating a stash of fabrics, threads, beads and stuff - just because I felt the need too. I didn't really know what to do with them or how to get started! This challenge is great for me, because it allows me the reason to create one piece of work a week. I am mainly working small - postcard size, because I feel that that is achievable for me to stitch in one evening. That obviously doesn't take into account my thinking time and sorting through the fabrics time and looking at my threads time....but it makes me actually produce something - rather than hundreds of ideas!


Week 1 Herringbone stitch - This first piece was stitched in a variety of threads, over hand dyed muslin on a backing of hand dyed felt. I was pleased with the textures and the way the colours worked out. It wasn't intended to be anything in particular - just abstract - but a shell shape evolved I think. I particularly love the textures of the close up photo.

No comments: