Tuesday, 27 March 2007

Cross Stitch


I wanted to use Week 9's TAST cross stitch in an unconventional way. Whilst I love the effect of lots of cross stitches in a large piece - I wanted to experiment and try them in a different way.


I decided to use natural materials - on hessian and to stitch cassurina needles onto the background to create shapes. Sharon B (In A Minute Ago) had referred us to the cross stitch article by Jean Draper (Pattern Making with Cross Stitch). These pieces are beautiful and I will try some of these ideas out another time.


For this piece I used Jean Drapers' folded tissue paper squares (in gold) and stitched them into the spaces. I am very influenced by the art nouveau movement and Sydney has many fabulous buildings from that period. I was thinking of that feel as I stitched the cassurina needles in place. I was aiming to convey a sophisticated simplicity of a bygone era and hope that I have captured that in this piece.

No comments: