Monday, 26 March 2007

A new beginning


I think that I have know for a long time that I want to move into a new creative direction and to work with textiles. I have been itching to stitch into paintings and mixed media pieces. This blog heralds the start of the "giving myself permission" stage of this process.

Sharon B's Take a Stitch Tuesday (TAST) Challenge has been an enabler. As has my art teacher Catherine. Together they are encouraging me into a direction that I wanted to go in - but was too scared to take the first step. I did start with posting photos from TAST onto Flickr...but somehow that hasn't felt like enough. So it is time to start a blog.

I haven't really done any textile work since I was a child and then what I did was limited. My Mum was always stitching - whether making us clothes or working on something for the embroider's guild. I was interested, but just didn't take it up then. My Dad was a research scientist and loved to experiment. I seem to be evolving into a combination of them both. Now the experimental creativity has become an internal need to be expressed.

Hopefully this blog will provide the momentum to encourage me to keep going through the barriers that I put up for myself.

I have been so inspired by seeing other artists work on the web, and that they are having so much fun doing it, that I am now feeling brave enough to launch off...a new beginning.

At this stage I think that this blog will be about my inspirations and my creations (some textiles and some other things)...it will be interesting to see how it evolves. Watch this space...

No comments: